Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sunshine - How about a remake?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Recently I've been watching some clips of this film on Youtube as well listen to some of the score. So I thought I'd write something up while my mind is on the subject.

A while ago I did a "review" of sorts on Sunshine. To me Sunshine is a film that with more thought put into it, it could really be something great. It's underrated, no doubt in my mind about it. Now, with a film that has one of the best scores and such potential, I think this is one of the few films I would love to see remade. There is obvious confusion with director Danny Boyle and writer Alex Garland in exactly what they want this film to be. Is this film a drama thriller? Or is this film a thriller horror? They can't make up their mind. If a remake was to ever occur Pinbacker should be 100% cut out, for me, that half ruined this film, as I'm sure many will agree. That is the biggest edit, there are numerous others edits, like the odd obsession with the sun, but also just cut out the general cliches that are evident in this film.

A remake would absolutely have to contain the original score, or at the very least the same theme. To be honest if the music wasn't half as good as it is I wouldn't like this film. The music so incredibly enhances this film, particularly in the jump scene, you feel the desperation and frustration in that scene, and it is intense. There are some other pretty intense scenes in this film, made that way simply because of the music. The acting is decent enough, probably strongest from Cillian Murphy and surprisingly Chris Evans, the rest were good enough. The visuals in this film are outstounding, the CGI is close to perfect. All you need to do is watch the film and you will surely agree with that.

I've got a general interest for space, so maybe that's why I like this film, and why I love Solyaris & 2001: A Space Odyssey. With a remake I think they should try focus more on that space side, and more on the relationships between the people on board Icarus. Try build up the desperation that this really is, the last hope for human survival. Those elements are present, and Sunshine touches on those aspects, but it does it quite weakly.

I also hear of people complaining that the sun dying is a few billion years too early, here is an explanation I read from Roger Ebert's review in which he quotes the Science Advisor for the film "The sun is not "dying in the normal sense," IMDb.com reports, but in the Cox scenario "has instead been 'infected' with a 'Q-ball' -- a supersymetric nucleus, left over from the Big Bang...that is disrupting the normal matter. This is a theoretical particle that scientists at CERN are currently trying to confirm -- the film's bomb is meant to blast the Q-ball to its constituent parts, which will then naturally decay, allowing the sun to return to normal.""

There is some seriously illogical moments in this film, and it almost seems like the writer just wrote everything that came to mind, without really researching anything or making sense of certain aspects. It's almost as if he wrote in one night, and there was not a single edit later, just a pile of ideas made into a script. BUT despite that, the music, the visuals and the acting from Murphy & Evans really hold this film up. The ending is a bit iffy and lame. As I've said, this isn't a perfect film, not even close, it's a bag of good and bad ideas. Now I'm sure there will be a lot of people who don't like this film for what it is, but I find myself liking it more for what it could have been. Just so it's clear, I don't expect, or even want a remake to happen next year or the year after, obviously give it some time to settle, but in time, a remake of this could very well be very good.

1 comments:

Puneet said...

Hello!

I agree with you. Sunshine is a good movie, with great music and effects. But something seems missing.

Still, its one of the better space movies.

I am also a space movie follower and rate 2001: a space odyssey as the greatest movie ever.

Puneet.


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com Powered by Blogger and Local Jobs